- Support members in their professional development and career advancement.
- Provide consumers with necessary information regarding physical therapy for conditions related to, or resulting from, heart, lung or vascular disease.
- Promote the American Physical Therapy Associations achievement of Vision 2020. Please use this site often and watch for new additions and changes as we continue to enhance its features.
- Announcing the new Madison VA Cardiopulmonary Residency Program
William S Middleton Memorial VA Hospital
2500 Overlook Terrace
Madison, WI 53705
Applications are due by May 27, 2013. Interviews will be conducted in June with a final decision made by June 15, 2013. To apply candidates will need to complete the required Application for Health Professions Trainee (form 10-2850d) available at http://www.va.gov/oaa/app-forms.asp. This application form along with a no greater than one page essay regarding personal interest and experience or background in cardiopulmonary physical therapy should be submitted to the Madison VA Residency Director.
For application submission or questions contact:
James Carlson, MPT, CCS
Madison VA Cardiopulmonary Residency Director
608-256-1901 ext 11107
- Recognition of Advanced Proficiency April-26-2013
The Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Section is proud to support APTA's Recognition of Advanced Proficiency for the PTA. PTAs interested in obtaining recognition will find the eligibility requirements and application information at www.apta.org/PTARecognition
- New Section Officers January-04-2013
The CVP Section would like to congratulate our new Section Officers.
President: Daniel Malone, PT, PhD, CCS
Nominating Committee Member: Sean Lowers, PT
- Functional Limitation Codes December-18-2012
STARTING JANUARY 1, 2013 ALL PTS MUST REPORT FUNCTIONAL LIMITATION CODES AND MODIFIERS ON THEIR BILLING FORM FOR EACH MEDICARE BENEFICIARY. The reporting of the functional limitations on the claim form will be implemented on January 1, 2013. To assure smooth transition, CMS sets forth a testing period from January 1, 2013, until July 1, 2013. After July 1, 2013, claims submitted without the appropriate G-codes and modifiers would be returned unpaid.
Under this new rule nonpayable G-codes and modifiers will be included on the claim forms to capture data on the beneficiary's functional limitations:
A. at the outset of the therapy episode;
B. at a minimum every 10th visit; and
C. at discharge.
- Smoking Ban Studies October-31-2012
Smoking Bans decrease rates of heart attacks and sudden cardiac death.
Check out the following article detailing studies that have shown the link. Then as PTs we should promote this and work on smoking bans in the states that still don’t have them.
- Critical Care Rehabilitation Conference 2012 July-30-2012
Critical Care Rehabilitation Conference 2012: Creating and Sustaining a Physical Rehabilitation Program in the ICU Johns Hopkins University Sept 21-22, 2012
This course will provide practical solutions for developing an Early Rehabilitation Program. The course is designed for physicians, nurses, PTs, OTs, RTs, administrators, and other healthcare professionals who are facing clinical, cultural, institutional, and financial barriers in making early mobility in the ICU a reality. A multi-disciplinary group of speakers will bridge the interdisciplinary gap from research to clinical implementation at the bedside via:
- Presenting evidence supporting early rehabilitation and mobility in the ICU
- Explaining clinical decision-making regarding medical stability for early mobilization of ICU patients
- Providing methods to identify and overcome specific barriers to implementation at your institution
- Explaining inter-disciplinary roles in the ICU rehabilitation setting
- Providing inter-professional networking opportunities
- Providing written materials and resources to create and sustain an early rehabilitation program at your Institution
Anyone who may be interested in learning more about how to create and sustain an early ICU rehab program should consider attending this course. Brochure available at http://www.hopkinscme.edu/coursedetail.aspx/80029905.
- Congratulations to Our 2012 Section Award Winners July-30-2012
CV & P Section Mentor Award Winner: Dianne Jewell, PT , PhD, DPT, CCS
CV & P Section Merit Award Winners: Ethel Frese, PT , DPT, MHS, CCS and Bobby Belarmino, PT , DPT, MA, CCS